Thursday, July 01, 2010

Saying Goodbye

If you ask my wife she will tell you I hold onto things wayyyy too long. I feel differently, I feel items continue to have purpose and while they may have passed their prime they still have a use.

That being said even I do have my limits, and with that the time has come to say goodbye to a pair of Pearl Izumi winter riding gloves that I have had for well over 15 years.

I can remember buying these gloves, back when I worked at the Skirack in Burlington. I can recall many cold rides as well as great ski days that these gloves served me well. I remember how impressed I was with how warm they were yet they still offered good feel on the handlebars and even worked well with that new fangled STI technology (I know STI came out before 1995- but I didn't have it until then).

About five years ago the seams started to go, but duct tape solved the issues. Then about three years ago the fabric started to show its age and the fingers began to rip. This past winter the gloves started to become more duct tape than glove, and I knew the end was near. I wonder if this was how Darth Vader felt as he transitioned from man to machine?

Anyway they served me well and I bid them farewell. I just hope my next pair of winter riding mitts serve me as well.

DEA

No comments: