Monday, December 25, 2006

TWAF Christmas Gravel Grinder completed

Merry Christmas!

A1 and I redeemed ourselves on Sunday, by hitting the gravel at 6am and completing the route that had been planned the day before. It was quite the ride with a lot of climbing, it was like a mini Jay- perfect for a Christmas Eve ride!

With the warmer temps the gravel on Davis and Gulf was a bit mushy, and at times it felt like you were pushing through peanut butter. A1 had the magic legs and I spent a lot of time looking as his backside as it rolled off into the distance. The Moonie climb just about killed me and I ended up off and pushing twice. The 32x20 just wasn't low enough. I knew I was in trouble when I could see A1 in his granny and struggling. However he cleared the climb in good form and was up at the top taking pictures as I approached all cross eyed.

You'll have to wait for the report from A1 with all the road names, as I can't seem to remember them all, but it was good. The climb to the top of rockhouse was killer, I walked a fair amount. We never found the trail we were looking for so we'll go back and connect it from the end that we know exists.

In all we were out for 3 hours and 20 minutes. I'm estimating about 30 miles and I'd like to think there was between 4000 and 5000 feet of climbing. I'm guessing on the climb but knowing we get 1600 on the Davis/Gulf/Potter loop I think I might be close.

Anyway Merry Christmas!

DEA

No comments: