Friday, July 25, 2008

Pinhoti Trail, N. Georgia



While on vacation in the South I got out for a ride in the mountains of North Georgia. I found some maps online for what looked like a nice looking trail called the Pinhoti Trail. It runds for some 25+ miles point to point.



I had an hour or so of free time one morning so I decided to go out and ride a bit of the trail. It started off and went directly up for a good bit. No warm up this morning, instant suffering.




After about 3/4 a mile of going straight up it leveled off and stared to be a little more hospitable to my cooked legs. I must say that being a rider from New England does not prepare you for riding in the heat and humidity of Georgia in July. It was killing me and I was going through water like I was in the desert.




I almost crashed when I was heading down one of the fun descents when I saw something that looked like a babyhead in the trail and it was actually a turtle. I had to stop and take a picture. Never expected to see a turtle mid trail on top of a mountain in Georgia.





Garmin Edge Summary Data
Total Time (h:m:s) 0:56:25
10:38 pace
Moving Time (h:m:s) 0:46:39
8:47 pace
Distance (mi ) 5.30
Moving Speed (mph) 6.8 avg.
25.0 max.
Elevation Gain (ft) +1,194 / -1,191

Temperature (°F) 77.3°F avg.
80.6°F high
Wind Speed ( mph)
N 0.0 avg.
N 0.0 max.



As you can see there was not much besides up and down.



This was my attempt at shooting some video while riding.




Sorry if you watched it. I rode through a big spiderweb and almost crashed while doing that. That'll teach me to keep both hands on the bars.

I wish I had more tome to explore the trails in this area as it is close to where the Cohutta 100 is held. Good thing they run that in April.

Someday I'll make it back with more time to ride.

Ride on.

JJ

No comments: