Tuesday, July 01, 2008

What is it about this season?

I can't get my head around it, but something is amiss with this season. A1 and I talked about it last night over many beers at the Moat- he was feeling the same way, but neither of us could put a finger on it. So I spent many a sleepless minute last night thinking about it- this is what I came up with:

1) no major goal for the season. I've been into cycling for a great many years- and in reality this year I'm riding a fair amount- just not the levels that we had ridden the past few years. Jay really changed me as a rider in terms of my expectations for myself. Last year I had my first attempt as a 24 hour solo rider, and while not nearly the level of motivation that I had for Jay, it was still enough to get me out of bed early.

2) pro-cycling has lost its luster. The Tour starts this weekend and I don't really care. I have to say that the last time I felt that way was before LeMond started appearing on the podium in France- so that's well over 20 years of loving the Tour and having a sense of excitement every July. Between Floyd getting tossed, Astana not getting invited and the UCI and ASO acting like kids fighting over a toy I've just lost my appetite. The sad part was I wasn't even that motivated to enjoy the Classics this year. Part of that may also be the fact that all my favorite riders are either retired, at the end of their careers or on the sidelines due to doping charges. Maybe I need to get excited about some of the young guns out there.

3) I bought a new TV last winter. That's right, I'll actually admit this in a public forum. I have become a bonafide TV junkie, if it's in HD I'll plant my ass and watch it. I need to change that, and quick!

4) Not sure- but I'm sure I'll come up with something else soon!


There is my line of thinking. That being said had a great ride with JJ and Chris on Sunday that ended with an impressive downpour. I've sold two bikes, meaning I'll be ordering a new Kona Jake the Snake cross frame to build up for the fall season (now 'cross season is something I'm fired up for!)

That's about it. Ride on.


later,

DEA

4 comments:

sn0m8n said...

Go for a run.

weak and feeble said...

yeah- running that's the ticket. Actually ran yesterday- maybe that is why I feel so awful today!

dea

jason said...

Gas prices too high to justify 100 bucks a weekend to race. 24s are fun, but again mucho mula. My sights are west, focusing on the Great Divide Race, so in order to train I am go out, get lost on dirt roads, find my way back and explore some new trails.

That is how I get my vibe going this year.
Or try something new, touring, fixed gear riding, fishbiking(riding your bike with a rod to go fish)

bluecolnago said...

have agreat 4th!