Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Powerlines and such

JJ and I had an ESSC meeting last night and the grand plan to ride into work was hatched. Calling it a grand plan might be a bit of overkill as I pretty much ride to work four of five days each week, but to have someone to ride in with was an exciting prospect!

We met up at the intersection of 302 and Mill Street, for the first time in all the years that JJ and I have been riding together I don’t think I’ve ever been there first, it almost caused a moment of panic, even though my wait was a grand total of 10 to 15 seconds. We began cruising along 302 and I quickly found I couldn’t spin fast enough to keep up with JJ, I watched as he pulled away until there was enough of a gap that I’d guess driving didn’t think we were riding together (maybe that was JJ’s intention).

Getting spanked so badly on the road had me shaking my head a bit, quickly calling into question the intelligence of the idea of doing Jay on a singlespeed, but we soon got to Sears where we were able to duck into the singletrack and then I began to feel much better.

Pretty much we rode the Restone section over to the powerlines and then rode sticks and stones. I was feeling ok, but still am learning how to corner the Rig. More then a few times I thought I had my line and told myself I wouldn’t hit the breaks only to panic at the last moment and lock up the front and rear when I realized I had over cooked it. It would take about 20 seconds to get my rhythm back, usually just in time to over cook another turn. I skipped every stunt on the course, I’ll have to work on that!

Got to work a few minutes late, oooops, but at least now I’m awake and feeling alive while most of the office is still working on caffeinating their way to usefulness.

That was our morning. Hopefully A1 is feeling better, and Nk is in full rugby mode- we’ll have to snap a couple pics at his next match- it’ll give you a much better understanding of why he rides the way he rides and why so much of his shit breaks!

Get out and ride

DEA

No comments: