Thursday, August 23, 2007

Great Glen/Importech Race #8

Tonight was the last race for the season in the Importech Summer Mountain Bike Series . The race is a weekly series that runs in a Time Trial format where you race against the clock. It can be real tough since you are not really racing anyone head-to-head and just try to go as fast as you can.

I missed the last 5 weeks due to my damaged body parts. So tonight I figured I had healed enough to give it a try. My goal was to ride a clean lap and to see if I could place in the top 3 in my catagory. I was the only one running a SS so it can be a disadvantage on this course due to the layout. I warmed up by riding the first half of the course and inspecting the most difficult section that I had not been on in over a month and wanted to see what shape it was in since the 24 HR race a couple weeks ago. Overall the course was in nice shape as we have not had any real rain in about 3 weeks. The only problem from that was it was so dry that it was getting sandy in places and traction was becoming an issue in places, particularly on some climbs andin some of the faster corners. Oh well.

My race started out OK and I felt like I had descent legs. Once I came into the Whiplash section of the course I was determined to ride it clear, which I did. Problem is I think I basically burned every match in the book doing it. Once I came out of there I cought a few other riders which is always fun doing on a SS as you go past them and they shake their head at you.

By the time I was about 2/3 of the way through I just didn't have a lot of gas left in the tank to keep the cadence up as high as I needed or wanted. THe final stretch is an uphill climb across a grassy hill whihc always sucks and it did even more tonight. As I rolled across the finish I was quite pleased that I completed my first race since the crash at Pats Peak. 5 weeks of no racing has definately taken its toll on my fitness and race legs.

Once the results were posted I felt worse about my effort. I placed secong, but I missed first by a single second. Guess thats one thing about the TT format as you have no idea how other riders have riden, but with a margin that close its easy to second guess your ride and think of places where you could have made up a couple seconds here or there. I should just be happy to be back in a race, but I was bummed to be so close to first. Next race is the 2007 Red Jersey Summer Race Series
on 9/15 at the Bear Notch Ski Touring in Bartlett, NH. Come on out, its a great event and another race in a TT format of a fun course with a few river crossings just to make it interesting. See ya in the woods. Finally

JJ

No comments: